Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Beginning

Afraid to venture out on the highways today (with temperatures feeling like -40 with the wind), our first road trip to gather stories for the family history book I am endeavoring to write, was tabled. I did still make a trip over to my aunts in the city and we got the ball rolling anyway.

I seem to be creating stress in peoples lives with my project. That was not my intent at all ... I was hopeful that it would be an enjoyable stroll down memory lane. Maybe once we get going with it and get together as a small group, they'll be able to relax and hopefully have fun with the idea.

I transposed our conversation today into a scribbler and I have several pages of words to try and put into the format that I have in mind. I am seeing a lot of words ... feeling the stress that I'm causing ... and I had to put that aside for tonight. A good nights rest and a new day will put things back into perspective and I hope to come back at this with a fresh eye tomorrow.

How to tell someone else's story is tricky. I want so much to keep their words true and weave their tale in a way to make a person want to find out more. Maybe I should have taken a writing class first? But I'll learn as I go along.

These uncomfortable steps make a person stronger and wiser I believe. I'm out in foreign territory at the moment. I need to get comfortable with where I'm at ... then I'll forge on.

It is a process .... this is just the first step of many.

1 comment:

  1. Colleen - I am so excited that you are starting on this "book" - I can hardly wait to read it. I liked the comment about trying to keep the words true but weaving them in such a way to be interesting. From what I have seen of your writings in other things that shouldn't be a problem for you but a good reflection to think about. You have such a beautiful way with words even in this blog site

    ReplyDelete